Five roommates met last Wednesday to celebrate Louisí birthday, another mutual friend. During the birthday festivities, the roommates ended up in a cheerful debate about how best to travel in the traffic-clogged city. While many creative suggestions were offered by other birthday guests, the roommates decided to try a little test on their way home that evening. Each would use a different mode of transportation to get back home. Since their departure and arrival destinations were the same, it would be a good test of actual transportation times. Determine the full name of each roommate, the mode of transportation each chose for the return trip home, and how long it took each of them to arrive (20 to 40 minutes).
1. Ed didnít use the bus. Mr. Sullivanís first name was Chris.
2. Mr. Manning spent ten minutes longer to arrive home than it took Clyde but he was back five minutes faster than the roommate who took the bus.
3. The roommate who walked spent 20 minutes getting home. Earl came home in a car.
4. David didnít use the subway to get home but he arrived five minutes before Mr. Park, whose first name wasnít Ed.
5. Mr. Stewart arrived home in 30 minutes.
6. The roommate who used a bicycle returned ten minutes earlier than Earl but his last name wasnít Pennant.
January 30, 2011